Friday, April 17, 2009

Cheap way to phone a cell phone in the united kindgom from the states?

I met a guy when I was in london and phoning each other has become extremely expensive. Is there a way to make a call to a united kingdom cell phone for cheap? Everything i see is only for land line phones. Suggestions greatly appreciated!


Hi Ash

I phone family and friends in the UK every week, I use a sevice from www.pingo.com

Simple signup, no hidden fees, it allows me to phone from my mobile or landline. It is expensive to phone a mobile in the UK so I always try to phone the landline. When I do phone UK mobiles, Pingo helps with the pain of the high cost. It costs 15.5 cents a minute to ring a UK mobile and 1.8 cents a minute to ring a UK landline. Most services like this have very high "hidden" costs, this does not. With the amount of calls my family makes to the UK , this has saved me a lot of money

Cheers

The cell phones in Europe operate on a different frequency of radio waves than in the USA. In Europe they sell "tri-band" phones that can be used by businessmen on both continents.

Tell your London friend to buy a "tri-band phone" so he can link up to your "dual band phone" in the USA. Maybe MAYBE if you are on the same frequency, it could be cheaper???

ONE band is for emergency calls.

AND YOU are right, it is expensive....40 to 60 cents a minute. All this technology costs a lot.

OR, try SKYPE, and call free from computer to computer. The faster your ADL line, the better, and you can even have a web-cam to see each other.

Download Skype

Download site for Skype, the program for making free calls over the Internet.http://www.skype.com/download/

If you both got Skype on your computer you could do it for free but they also have other options that are good to. I was able to call a friend of mine for really cheap this past year when he was in Russia.

No comments:

Post a Comment