Thursday, April 16, 2009

How can I hook up or doitmyself wiring for 2 phone lines for my home?

I have a home phone line with Bell Canada. I called them and they said that I can get an extra line (meaning a new number for a faxes) which is exactly what I want. However, Bell is telling me that I have to pay $99 dollars for installation , meaning a technician has to come to my house and somehow split the phone line jacks. Now, I want to save myself this $99 dollar fee, I'm a handyman, so I want to do this myself? Does anybody know how to do this? Just for your information, I'm getting a separte phone number just for the fax machine, and it's not a upgraded fax number that uses the same phone line as the house number.


Assume not, for Canada!! It is exactly the same. Red & Green are the ring & tone for your first line, Black & Yellow are for the second line. Run them to two separate jacks, and you have two separate lines after Bell activates your 2nd line.

That's what I used to do for a living!!

In the US (and I'll assume Canada as well...) the second line is already installed. unscrew the jack from the wall and you will see 4 wires, red and green on top, yellow and black on bottom. Yellow and black are your second line. Buy yourself a $3 Two line faceplate, attach red and green to the top two screws of the top plug and yellow and black go on the top two screws of the bottom plug and VIOLA! second line. It won't work until you tell them to start charging you, but you'll save yourself $99.

although i'm in britain, dare say it is the same. to get a seperate phone line, even if pre-fitted, they will still charge. fact of life unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment