Friday, April 17, 2009

Are phone jack outlets just as dangerous as power outlets around children?

We have all of the power outlets covered properly to prevent electricution, but what about the phone outlets? I just caught my 2 year old putting a key in a phone outlet and I'm concerned about the risks if there are any. Do they make phone jack covers?


The ring voltage gets fairly high (>50V). I have been bit by it in the past. This only occurs while the phone is ringing though. I had never thought of it but it might be a good idea to cover the unused phone jacks. Google "telephone ring voltage" to see what I mean. Here's some dust covers: http://cableorganizer.com/dust-cover/?engine=google&kw=&s_kwcid=jack%20covers|554182875&gclid=CN7index1pMCFSY1agoduXuIiw

Correct me if I'm wrong.These are extremely low voltage,a minor tingle maybe expected.

We are all different and different things affect us differently.Perhaps a call to your phone company would be justified.

Good Luck

EDIT: As a former concrete pump operator we were always told expect the unexpected.We boomed under wires,however the eliminate of line being energized in the system always exist.

There is little danger from a phone jack unless there is lightning outside.

No, very little power there. You would be lucky to feel a 'tickle' from it.

no its low voltage

no they do not bite. But dont try it during a thunder storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment