Wednesday, April 15, 2009

How do I transfer a beloved ringtone from my old phone to my new phone?

I had an older Sony Ericcson with an awesome ringtone I bought online off AT&T. I got a new phone, and the ringtone is protected, so I can't bluetooth it, and the site won't let me buy the ringtone for my new phone because it "isn't compatible". And if I do a sound recording of the ringtone on my new phone, it either doesn't come across loud enough, or it sounds really crappy.


Unfortunately you're pretty much going to be SOL in that scenario. There's no way to unlock carrier-protected ringtones or to convert old web-based polyphonic files into newer files types like mp3s.

Now, if it's a song you can find online or on a CD and load it up onto a computer as an mp3, there is a free program you can download called Audacity (audacity.com) that was created specifically for taking small ringtone-sized clips out of your favorite songs.

Beyond that, I don't know of any other options for you. Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment