Thursday, April 16, 2009

How old do I have to be before I can get my own cell phone and cell phone plan?

My father is totally anti-cell phone. He says they're not necessary and to a certain extent he's right but I really have had times where I needed a phone and didn't have one. No matter what I say or do he won't get me a phone.

I will be 16 next March and I will probably be getting a job by then, so would I be old enough to get my own cell phone plan and cell phone? How old do I need to be? Please help. Thanks.


If you want to have a contract based cell phone plan you will most likely have to be 18. However, you can always buy a prepaid cellphone. If you're unfamiliar with prepaid cellphones the way it works is usually like this: you buy the cellphone, a sim card, and minutes that come on a gift-card like thing. Depending on the carrier you can use the money you spend on the card for minutes or texts.

At places like Target, BestBuy, Walmart etc. they sell cellphones along with a starter kit which includes the sim card and a card with minutes (for some phones).

They're priced anywhere between $20 and $100, and then every now and then you buy new minutes.

Good luck!

The age varies between 16 and 18 depending on where you are.

I would suggest going with a prepaid phone -- you can definitely get one at 16 and since you are paying for it your dad should have no issue.

The phones are like $40 and the plans are whatever you can afford to put on it each month.

Let dad know it is safer if you have a phone but beware, he will call you on it a lot once you do get one =)

Definitely! I still don't have a phone either, but i'm planning to gather up lots of problems of the past, and then blast all of them in my parents face that they are cornered and HAVE to buy me one. I suppose you could try to stop asking or show responsibility or maybe even give little hints of needing one without saying it directly! I'm on the path to a cell phone, not even caring what kind, just that i get one! I have a feeling you have the same problem as me! We shall pull through this together!

I think most cell phone companies you have to be 18 to get your own plan. But my dad was the same way. He thought the were not necessary. But talk to him about a pay as you go plan. It's prepaid and you buy refill cards and add minutes to your phone and there is no contract. Hope this helps!

Well you can have a mobile phone on contract at any age i'm 13 and i have one but its not me that pay for it.

I'm not sure about the US but i'm sure by 16 you can legally get a ohone on contract.

Why don't you use pay monthly or pay as you go any age can use that

You have to be 18 to sign a contract by yourself. Since most cell phone companies require contracts, you will have to wait until then.

i have a phone and im under 10

if i was your father i will say about 17 or 18

No comments:

Post a Comment