Saturday, April 11, 2009

How can I get a cell phone while under contract without paying lots of money?

Basically, my phone just stopped working. I have no idea how or why, but it was just at the end of its life I guess. I have another 3 months on my contract and another week before I can renew and get a new phone through Verizon (my carrier) that will only be 20-30 dollars. However, I don't know if I want to renew, and the only thing it seems I can do now is to buy a phone for well over $100, because they won't sell anything cheaper.

I've looked around and I can't find any store that will sell me a phone without some sort of contract activation to go along with it. I looked on ebay and found verizon capable phone for 20-50 dollars but I was just cruious if that is even possible in my situation.

If I were to buy one of those phones off ebay, would verizon let me transfer my line to that phone? Or would they come up with some fine print points that won't allow me to purchase a phone from anyone but them.

So I'm in a pretty tight spot :-/


I go with Sprint! but you may be able to buy a refurbished phone from the store cheaper...call around and ask..if you buy a phone off ebay and it is stolen or the contract was "left" with a balance they WILL NOT turn it on for you until the balance is paid...that is why I stay clear of phones on ebay! If you don't resign and switch make sure you have good credit or it will drop you anywhere from $200 to $400 dollars to sign on with someone else so I guess waiting a week and paying 30 bucks is looking better! ;)

what i did when one of my phones died was borrowed a phone from someone who had one just laying around, because they just up graded themselves. i also have Verizon and they just switched numbers and i was on my way, didn't cost me a thing and i was pretty much in the same boat you where. it was almost time to upgrade and they wouldn't budge on anything i.e. discounts, upgrades, or even a loaner. that's why from now i use keep my old cell phones till i upgrade ( there's 3 of us on the family plan) just in case one of them brakes. hay if you live in the finger lakes region you can have one of mine if need be.

hey go to wirelesstoyz.com find a location near you they can sell you a cheap phone no contract

Try buying a phone off of ebay that is a verizon phone. I don't know how verizon works, but if they use sim cards, it shouldn't matter if verizon allows you to get a new phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment