Saturday, April 11, 2009

I already had a phone interview. What should I say in my cover letter to give the employer in person?

I applied for customer service at a call center for a cell phone company. I passed the personality test, which was part of the application. Then I had a phone interview, and now I'm scheduled for an interview in person.

I'm planning to bring along a copy of my resume. What should I say in the cover letter? I already told the manager about my computer skills, how many years of experience in customer service I have, about my overall work history, and how I heard about the position. Should I still put that information in my cover letter?


Actually, cover letters are for when you send your resume (before you are scheduled for any interviews), so unless they asked for that - don't worry about it for this specific job.

What you do want to do is make sure you have answers to "Why should we hire you (over someone else)? Why do you want to work here? What special skills do you have?"

good luck!

let them know your reliable

From a practical standpoint, the purpose of a cover letter has already been met. A cover's objective is to get the resume read, rather than scanned and overlooked in haste. Now, you need to focus on compatibility. Any additional reading would only detract from that time constrained opportunity.

Instead of the over used post interview thank you note, you could make a combined introduction, confirmation, continuity and thank you telephone call. Calling the day before gives you an opportunity to ask them about any subjects that may be of particular interest to the interviewer. If you are not able to speak with the interviewer , I would recommend talking directly to his secretary, or administrative assistant, before you resort to voice mail.

At this point, the word cover is more a verb than an adjective. As you casually pass your resume shake hands and remind him of your call to get him focused on you. It's your time to shine. Don't cover it with extra reading. Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment