Monday, April 13, 2009

What's the furthest I should put a cordless phone from a wireless router?

I have a cordless phone about 5 inches away from my wireless router. I know that they say not to put phones close to wireless routers because of the interference you may experience. However I am still getting a fast connection with the wireless network. What can be some problems you would see by having a phone too close to a router? Sometimes I will get a real slow connection, but all I have to do is restart my modem and the connection is back up to full speed. Also I am having Strict NAT setting problems on my 360. Can any of these be caused from the phone being too close?


My WiFi connection was obliterated by my cordless phone, until I changed the channel that my router used for WiFi.

If you are getting some interference try each of the different channels for your WiFi, that may fix your issue.

You shouldn't get any interference if the frequency between the router and the phone is different. If that doesn't work, try keeping the phone a couple meters away, if you really think it's bothering your router connection. I've heard of a small USB device called "WISPY" or something like that that's used to check out the traffic between frequencies used by phones and wireless routers. Try it out, or just space your two devices apart more.

If your connection is working correctly, the phone is not interfering, so don't worry about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment