Tuesday, April 14, 2009

How can I use my cell phone to connect my laptop to the internet?

I have a cable modem at home, but I'm considering switching my internet access to be through my cell phone. What kind of speed can I achieve? (I'm in a rural area -- but have a strong digital cell signal) What are the advatanges / disadvantages of switching my cable internet connection to a cell phone internet connection?


Depends on what kind of cell phone you have and what kind of service does your provider give. There's GPRS and 3G.

3G connection are more faster than GPRS.

I got 480 Kbps on GPRS and 3.6 Mbps on 3G.

Advantages with mobile phone is you can surf while you move.

Disadvantages : More expensive and more slow than cable. My cable internet speed is 8 Mbps.

Cellphone internet speeds are pitiful compared to cable/DSL speeds, even if you are in a rural area. Cellphone internet plans tend to be more expensive too!

And I don't think you can use your cellphones internet capability and extend that to your laptop

It depends on the Cell Phone and Service Provider

No comments:

Post a Comment