Friday, April 10, 2009

I have two phone lines in my house. How do I switch the jacks from one line to another myself?

I just moved into a new house that has 10 phone jacks. When the phone service was turned on, the only activated jack was in the kitchen - not a convenient location. Apparently, since there were two lines previously in my place, SBC activated the one that was most recently shut off. I called SBC and they said that I could either pay them to come out and fix it by switching the active line over to the other jacks, or I could find the junction box and switch the lines myself. Any idea how to do this?


There should be a box outside of your house specifically for the phone lines. All you have to do is be sure the main line that you use is the only one plugged into the box.

Here is a great guide to wiring home telephone lines.

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/phone_wiring.html

No comments:

Post a Comment